COMPARE and VOTE
1. Julia Allen was on the team that collected nearly 50,000 signatures to
“Stop Rail Now!” The ballot initiative was subverted and replaced by the
City’s own version, advocating “steel on steel.” The measure narrowly passed.
Now rail faces massive cost overruns as predicted by “Stop Rail Now!” advocates.
2. Calvin Say voted to authorize the rail tax, but reported in a community newsletter that he did not vote for the General Excise tax surcharge
“to balance the budget.”
3. House leadership will extend the rail tax again and raise automobile taxes
and fees after the election. Say declared he will vote to extend and raise taxes
(PBS “Insights” program 9/22/16).
4. On January 26, 2011, the Speaker Calvin Say introduced House Bill 1092
which would tax pensions as demanded by Gov. Abercrombie.
5. Calvin Say has advocated only a manini increase in state income tax standard deduction and personal exemption.
6. Say was notorious for “dead of night” decisions in conference committees
during his terms as House Speaker.
7. Calvin Say refused to refund budgetary surpluses to taxpayers famously saying, “It’s only one plate lunch or one Loco-Moco a week.”
8. Say faked residency for years, while owning a vacant house in Palolo Valley. Minimal electric bills and “zero gallon” water bills proved his absence, but
sham hearings let him off the hook.